The Modern Hip Center of NJ
Here at Modern Orthopaedics of New Jersey, Dr. Stern has advanced training and specializes specifically in non-surgical and surgical treatments on the hip.
WAYNE & PARSIPPANY, NJ
Frequently Asked Questions about Hip Arthritis
What is hip arthritis?
Hip arthritis occurs when the cartilage covering of your hip joint wears down. The cartilage is there to protect the bone and allow for smooth and pain free motion. When the cartilage is no longer present, the rough surfaces of the exposed bones rub against one another causing pain.
What symptoms might I be experiencing if I have hip arthritis?
Patients with hip arthritis typically have pain that starts in the groin. This pain can radiate into your thigh, knee or buttocks. You may have pain or difficulty with walking and bending and find it difficult to do the activities you once enjoyed without pain. Sometimes you can develop a feeling of stiffness or “locking” of the hip joint as well.
What causes hip arthritis?
Arthritis can be caused by many different things including older age, family history, prior injury to the hip joint, obesity and congenital problems related to the hip. Often times there is no underlying cause that can be identified.
Are there any treatments for hip arthritis that do not involve surgery?
- Lifestyle modifications such as weight loss if you are overweight and switching to lower impact activities can lower stress across your hip joint
- Physical therapy to work on range of motion, stretching and strengthening
- Using a cane in the opposite arm to offload some of the force that is being transmitted through your hip (e.g. if your right hip hurts, use the cane in your left hand and vice versa)
- Tylenol or anti-inflammatory medications such as Motrin or Advil for pain relief (always speak with your primary care doctor before starting any medications)
- A cortisone injection into the hip joint can be done to relieve pain. This is done by a radiologist under ultrasound or xray guidance.
Other Common Hip Conditions/Procedures
Femoroacetabular Impingement (FAI)
To learn more about a condition or procedure, visit our treatment library page.
Dr. Stern is Recognized as a Top Hip Specialty Doctor in New Jersey
Our 5-Star concierge-trained staff was designed to guide each unique patient through questions, scheduling, insurance, and anything else needed to ensure the best possible experience for our patients.
Lorraine Stern, M.D., FAAOS
Dr. Lorraine Stern is board certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery. She is a fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons as well as a member of the Orthopedic Trauma Association.
Dr. Stern also specializes in advanced Mako-Assisted Hip Replacements.
Wayne, Parsippany, Paramus, NJ
Call us to book your appointment today at
973-898-5999, or request an appointment below.